All hail the “Queen of Soul” Aretha Louise Franklin. The 18-time Grammy winner was born in Memphis, Tennessee on this day – MArch 25, 1942. Her family later moved to Detroit (affectionately known as the Motor City) when Aretha was only four-years-old. She started out singing in the house of the Lord in Detroit when she was just 14. Early on, it was clear she was a force to reckon with. Her record deal came a short time after and commemorates what we now know as a successful recording career with soulful music across many genres as her destiny and her claim to fame. Take a look at some of her biggest accomplishments, awards and recognition.
– Over time, Aretha Franklin has crafted more than a dozen million-selling singles
– 20 No. 1 R&B hits
– 2 number one hits on Billboard Hot 100: “Respect & I knew you were waiting for me”
– A cover story in Time
– A civil rights award from Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
– The first female artist to be inducted into the coveted Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 1987.
– A lifetime achievement award in 1995
– A role alongside John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd in The Blues Brothers.
Over the past couple of years, Aretha Franklin began having health issues and her weight had become a major factor. Recently, while on the Wendy Williams show she stated “losing the weight was hard,” but she personally felt she was “too fat for words.” As the pounds quickly fell off, many wondered how she did it. She put the rumors to rest and revealed to has lost the weight the natural way. Obviously, in better health and even better spirits she’s looking fabulous. She has lost 85-pounds to date and says she’s looking forward to losing more. We’re looking forward to more of the same great music we’ve come to know and love.
Check out the latest collection of Aretha Franklin’s hits below.
- NYPD Commander Allegedly Brutally Beaten By Husband
- Mark Cuban Confirms New Charlie Sheen Show
- Michelle Bachmann To Run For Presidency In 2012
- United States Hispanic Population Tops 50 Million
- Jean-Claude ‘Baby Doc’ Duvalier Hospitalized
Lincoln Ware Rewind: Thanks to the Grammys I Now Know What WAP Is
Joe Burrow Carted Off Field After Reported Calf Strain
"Get Started" at Cincinnati State
Ohio Issue 2: Recreational Marijuana Officially On November Ballot
Cincinnati Bengals QB Joe Burrow Out For Remainder Of The Season With Torn Ligament
Lincoln Ware Rewind: What is Going on at the Board of Elections?!
Beavercreek Walmart Shooting: Four Injured, One Dead
Bengals Trounce Raiders in Season Opener