For decades, Barbara Smith or B. Smith as she was affectionately known stood as a titan for black entrepreneurship, modeling and more. When she was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s, she, her husband Dan Gasby and daughter Dana continued to tell her story and keep her brand alive.
Sadly, B. Smith passed away on Saturday night in the family’s Long Island home. She was 70.
Gasby announced the death of the groundbreaking model, restaurant owner and lifestyle guru saying, “It is with great sadness that my daughter Dana and I announce the passing of my wife, Barbara Elaine Smith.”
Beginning as a model in the 1960s, she later signed to Wilhelmina and in 1976 became the first black woman to be featured on a cover of Mademoiselle.
The grind did not stop for Smith as she went on to open three of her popular B. Smith restaurants, two of which are in New York (New York City and Long Island) and a third in Washington D.C.
She grew her empire even more with the launch of B. Smith Style, a television and lifestyle show that hosted some of entertainment’s best such as Gladys Knight and more.
- D.C. Makes Our Message Clear With Zero Votes For Trump In The Primary Election
- OHIO: Don’t Expect Any of the Cities in The Buckeye State to Be the Replacement Host for the 2020 RNC
- Watch What Happens When You Give “Too Much Dap” In Hilarious ‘Sherman’s Showcase’ Clip
- Watch President Obama’s Town Hall On Police Violence Here
- Study: Couples Should Wear Masks During Sex!
- ‘Insecure’ Actor And Houstonian Kendrick Sampson Hit By Rubber Bullets In Los Angeles During George Floyd Protest
- Spike Lee Releases Short Film On Death Of George Floyd And Eric Garner
- Black Man Goes Viral For Being “FBI Agent” Who Was Racially Profiled By Cops [WATCH]
- #WendysIsOverParty Trends After Wendy’s Donates $400,000 To Trump
- George Floyd Protests: Resources To Help Anti-Police Brutality Protesters
B. Smith, Lifestyle Guru And Famed Style Expert Passes Away At 70 was originally published on myhoustonmajic.com