A pregnant woman sitting on a park bench in Queens was struck and killed by a falling tree Sunday evening, and another woman hit by the tree was seriously injured, according to authorities. The tree fell on the women at around 6:30 p.m. in Flushing’s Kissena Park, Fire Department officials said.
Yingyi Li, 30, was pronounced dead after being taken to New York Hospital Queens, officials said. Witnesses said the tree came crashing down.
“I heard a loud crash and boom, immediately my friend sees her and we went to see what happened,” said Sam Kim. “When we got there we saw a young Asian girl lying face down and there was blood coming out of her head.” Paramedics tried to resuscitate Li for several minutes, according to witnesses. The other woman injured by the tree is in serious condition.
Some residents said they hoped the tragedy would push the city to spend more money on park maintenance.
Like The Buzz 1230 on Facebook to stay updated with the latest news and original content!
- Recent Updates
- Deadly Robbery Shooting in Pleasant Ridge Leaves One Dead
- Never Forget: Trayvon’s Hoodie May Be Displayed In African American History Museum
- Caribbean Countries Seek Multi-Billion Dollar Slavery Reparations From Three European Countries
- Thug Rapes Enemy’s 12-Year-Old Brother [Video]
- 12-Year-Old Boy Robs Lemonade Stand For $30 With BB Gun
- Unemployment Rate Drops To Lowest Number In 4 Years At 7.4 Percent
- New Hampshire Man Shoots Himself While Sleep Walking