His origins: Cardinal Erdo is the Archbishop of Esztergom-Budapest and the Primate of Hungary. He was born in Budapest on June 25, 1952. He studied at his local seminary as well as the Pontifical Lateran University in Rome.
His career track: Since becoming ordained in in 1975, Erdo has experienced a fast rise in the ranks of the Catholic church. He began as a canonical lawyer, then was consecrated bishop of Székesfehérvár in 1999 by Pope John Paul II himself. In 2002, he became Archbishop of Esztergom-Budapest and a cardinal just one year later. He was youngest cardinal to participate in Pope Benedict XVI’s conclave.
His beliefs: Cardinal Erdo is a conservative, but an inclusive one. He has made efforts to reach out to Orthodox Jews in his country, as well as forming relationships with bishops in Africa and the developing world.
Why he might be pope: Despite his youth, Cardinal Peter Erdo may have significant support from European cardinals as the head of the Council of European Bishops’ Conferences.
Don’t miss any details of this moment in history!
Like The Buzz 1230 on Facebook to stay updated with the latest news and original content!
- Green Township Residents Plan Protest at CMHA Meeting
- Bank Teller Steals Over 600k, Receives Jail Time
- Council Members Prevent Parking Deal from Going on the Ballot
- C’Mon, Son: White House Petition To Make R. Kelly’s ‘Ignition (Remix)’ The National Anthem Goes Viral [VIDEO]
- Rumor Control: Reports of Man Spreading HIV Intentionally Are A Malicious Internet Hoax
- Did Romantic Tryst Gone Wrong Trigger Gay Politician’s Death?
- Brooklyn Man Wins $14,000 Settlement After Illegal Stop-And-Frisk