Atlanta’s historic Ebenezer Baptist Church — a spiritual pillar of the Civil Rights Movement — marked its 125 birthday with a special ceremony on Sunday, reports Fox 5 Atlanta.
It is the church which raised Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Founded in 1886, the Auburn Avenue area church has long been an important place of worship and social change. The church is also a designated national historic landmark.
U.S. Representative John Lewis, who worked alongside Dr. King, was honored during Sunday’s service. It comes one month after he was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom.
Dr. King’s sister, Christine Farris King, said she’s now Ebenezer’s oldest member.
RELATED: The Spirit Of Non Violence
- Disco Singer Loleatta Holloway Reportedly Dead At 64
- The Top 15 Civil Rights Leaders Of The 21st Century
- HBO To Produce Dick Cheney Mini-Series
- Pastor Charged With Raping And Impregnating 12-Year-Old
- Oprah’s Secret Diaries Reveal She Wanted “To Die” Over Relationship