Haim, 38, was taken to Providence St. Joseph Medical Center in Burbank, California, where he was pronounced dead at 2:15 a.m. PT (5:15 a.m. ET) on Wednesday, Los Angeles County Deputy Coroner Ed Winter said. The hospital is a mile from Haim’s apartment.
Los Angeles, California (CNN) — Corey Haim seemed to be winning his battle against drug abuse in the weeks before his death, his manager and closest friend said Wednesday.
The 1980s teen movie actor and heartthrob died early Wednesday after collapsing in the Los Angeles apartment he shared with his mother, authorities said.
Haim was “weaned down to literally zero medications” in the last two weeks by an addiction specialist, manager Mark Heaslip said on HLN’s “Issues With Jane Velez-Mitchell.”
The doctor “put him on a new line of medications,” Haim’s longtime friend and frequent co-star Corey Feldman said on CNN’s “Larry King Live.”
Feldman pleaded with people not to draw conclusions that Haim died from a drug overdose. He said that until the autopsy report is issued, “nobody knows and nobody’s going to know.”
“I know that there were symptoms that he was showing that expressed it could be a number of things,” Feldman said. “This could have been a kidney failure. This could have been a heart failure.”
Heaslip said Haim’s mother, Judy, told him “there were no signs of him overdosing.”
His death came as his career was picking up, with Haim booking “movie after movie,” Heaslip said. His latest film is set for release soon, he said.
Haim “really became a man” in recent months as he helped his mother in her battle with cancer, Feldman said. “He’s been there for her, taking care of her, being responsible,” he said.
Haim, 38, was taken to Providence St. Joseph Medical Center in Burbank, California, early Wednesday, where he was pronounced dead at 2:15 a.m., Los Angeles County Deputy Coroner Ed Winter said.
Haim was in the apartment he shared with his mother, Judy, when he “became a little dizzy, he kind of went to his knees in the bedroom,” Winter said. “His mom assisted him in the bed. He became unresponsive.”