Sheryl Lee Ralph made history with her first Emmy award.
As the second Black actress to win outstanding supporting actress in a comedy series, Ralph expressed with much emotion that “this is what believing looks like.” Jackée Harry was the first Black. actress to win this award for 227 in 1987. The veteran actress burst into song singing a verse from jazz singer Diane Reeves’ 1993 song “Endangered Species” while taking the stage to accept her Emmy.
Get Breaking News & Exclusive Contest in Your Inbox:
“I am an endangered species, but I sing no victim song,” she sang. “I am a woman, I am an artist, and I know where my voice belongs.” She then gave a. very inspirational speech that was followed by a standing ovation.
“To anyone who has ever ever had a dream and thought your dream wasn’t wouldn’t couldn’t come true I am here to tell you that this is what believing looks like,” Ralph said. “This is what striving looks like, and don’t you ever, ever give up on you.”
“Because if you get a Quinta Brunson, if you get a husband like mine in your corner,” Ralph added. “If you get children like mine in your corner, and if you’ve got friends like everybody who voted for me, cheered for me, loved me, thank you! Thank you! Thank you!”
Ralph, 65, plays kindergarten teacher Barbara Howard on Abbott Elementary created by Quinta Brunson on ABC.
- Commentary: New Republican ‘Commitment To America’ Is Out Of Step With Facts And What Voters Want
- Ciara Shows Us How To ‘Level Up’ Your Skincare On Instagram
- Elijah McClain’s Amended Autopsy Affirms Violent Arrest Caused His Death
- Cardi B Asks Fans For Recommendations After Revealing She’s Retaining Water
- ‘A Different World’ 35th Anniversary: How The Iconic HBCU Sitcom Still Influences Black Culture
- New Questions Raised About Herschel Walker’s Claim Of Donating Corporate Profits To Charity
- Nick Fuentes’ Pro-Trump Video Urging A ‘White Uprising’ Reminds Us How Racists Love The GOP
- What Brett Favre’s Welfare Scandal Means For Black People In Mississippi
- Netflix’s Disturbing New Series ‘Monster’ Called Out For Exploiting Black Women’s Trauma?
- Tennessee Cops Charge Black Student In Brutal School Arrest Video Over A Game Of Kickball
Sheryl Lee Ralph Wins First Emmy For ‘Abbott Elementary’ was originally published on rickeysmileymorningshow.com