According to NBC4i, new data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) shows that more Americans died in 2021 than in any other year in the nation’s history, as the coronavirus pandemic raged and death rates attributed to cancer, diabetes and strokes rose.
The data published through the end of the third quarter of the year shows a death rate of 1,058.8 per 100,000 Americans, a nearly 10 percent increase over the 12-month period the prior year and a 21 percent jump from 2019.
The rising rate meant nearly 3.5 million Americans died in the 12 months that ended in September 2021, the highest number of deaths ever recorded in the U.S. in a single year.
Much of the rising death toll was caused by the coronavirus pandemic, which cost 415,000 American lives in 2021, a higher figure than during the first year of the outbreak, even though vaccines were widely available for most of the year.
Get Breaking News & Exclusive Contest in Your Inbox:
- Malcolm X Assassination: Ben Crump To Introduce New Witnesses In Conspiracy Case
- Black Man Falsely ID’ed As ‘Illegal Immigrant’ At Kansas City Chiefs Parade Shooting Has Life Ruined By GOP Lies
- Kelly Loeffler Of KKK Selfie Fame Whitesplains Fani Willis, Nathan Wade Relationship In Trump-Loving Op-Ed
- A Prayer for Godly Leadership by Rev. Dr. Ralph Martino [LISTEN]
- Urban One Honors Backstage Pass Sponsored by Intuit TurboTax
- Cincinnati: Truck Gets Stuck Under A Bridge In The East End
- NC School Doors ‘Decorated’ With ‘Colored’ And ‘White’ Entrances For Black History Month
- The Jesse Owens Story: Outjump the Competition | Dr. Willie Jolley
- Donald Trump Launches New Shoe Line Featuring The Ugliest Pair Of ‘Air Treasons’ You’ve Ever Seen
- Sisters Are Doin’ It! Actress Malinda Williams Launches HBCU Coding Bootcamp For Women
Foodie Friday’s: BlaCk Coffee
Should Immigrants Get Fast-Tracked To Citizenship If They Join The Military? | What’s Your Point?
Foodie Friday’s: King’s Corona Latin Kitchen & Cantina
"Poor Little Tink Tink" Murders His Girlfriend!
The Lincoln Ware Show
Mississippi GOP’s Rogue Court Set To Begin As Judge Rejects Last-Ditch Effort To Halt Project
Election Day: What You Need to Know
Beyoncé’s Latest ‘Renaissance World Tour’ Looks Have The Internet Buzzing