The United Kingdom gave emergency authorization to Pfizer’s coronavirus vaccine on Wednesday. A huge leap ahead of the United States to become the first Western nation to allow mass inoculations to citizens. A battle against time as the virus has killed nearly 1.5 million people worldwide.
“Help is on the way,” U.K. Health Secretary Matt Hancock announced Wednesday morning after UK regulators granted emergency authorization for a vaccine. Pfizer, the American pharmaceutical giant, has worked with German partner BioNTech to get to this stage of the rollout.
“It marks the first time that citizens outside of the worldwide clinical trials will have the opportunity to be immunized against Covid-19,” according to BioNTech CEO Ugur Sahin.
A final analysis of the Phase 3 trial of Pfizer’s vaccine shows it was 95% effective in preventing infections, even in older adults, and caused no serious safety concerns, the company said last month. Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla called the emergency authorization as “a historic moment in the fight against Covid-19.”
The attention will now turn to regulate the vaccine in the United States. A debate that has already been fueled by President Trump and the White House who’ve stressed the need for a quick turnaround with vaccines along with it being introduced to the market. There is a desperate need for a vaccine, but assuring people that it is safe to take is key. No country until Wednesday had authorized a fully tested coronavirus vaccine.
According to The BBC, “Britain has ordered 40 million doses of the vaccine — enough to vaccinate 20 million people.” Hancock says an initial 800,000 doses would be available in the UK next week, and “we’ll then deploy it at the speed that it’s manufactured” by Pfizer at its facilities in Belgium. The bulk of the rollout will come next year.”
Get Breaking News & Exclusive Contest in Your Inbox:
- Watch Inauguration Day Live: Swearing In Ceremony, Virtual Parade And More Streamed Online
- TriState Strong Getting to Zero
- Ohio Native and Gymnast Nia Dennis Stuns With Viral Floor Routine Incorporating Missy Elliott and 2Pac
- OHIO: Senator Rob Portman Announces He Will Not Run for Reelection
- Lincoln Ware Rewind: With Tom Brady All Things Are Possible
- Vice President Kamala Harris’ Husband, Douglas Emhoff, Begins Teaching Course At Georgetown Law
- UCLA Gymnast Nia Dennis Lands A Near-Perfect Score With Her ‘Black Excellence’ Routine
- Beyonce Teases New Icy Park Collection
- Teyana Taylor Launches Her First Collection With PLT As Their Creative Director
- Harlem Protests Kick Off After Punks Brutally Attacked & Bit Black Woman
- Cincinnati: There Was A Major Crash On 75 North
- ‘We Must Convict Him!’ Maxine Waters Demands Trump’s Senate Impeachment Trial ‘Take Away His Power’
UK Becomes First Country to Approve Pfizer’s COVID-19 Vaccine was originally published on wbt.com