His remarks came during his acceptance speech for the 2017 John F. Kennedy Profile in Courage Award, at the John F. Kennedy Library Foundation in Boston.
He urged legislators to defend those who are vulnerable to losing health care under the sweeping changes passed by House Republicans. Obama’s message to lawmakers is that “courage does not always mean doing what is politically expedient, but what they believe deep in their hearts is right.”
On May 4, the House passed a measure, by a narrow margin, to replace Obamacare. The Senate is now examining the bill, which includes provisions that analysts say would weaken protections for people with preexisting medical conditions and would benefit the wealthy.
The Profile in Courage Award is bestowed on public officials or groups that demonstrate political courage in leadership.
Obama received the award for expanding health care, restoring relations with Cuba and leading the global effort to protect the environment.
Good 'Ol Days: Barack Obama Was Nominated For President By The DNC 11 Years Ago
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 14
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 14
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 14
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 14
5. Two TermsSource:Getty 5 of 14
6. Michelle and Barack Host a State DinnerSource:Getty 6 of 14
7. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 7 of 14
8. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 8 of 14
9. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 9 of 14
10. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 10 of 14
11. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 11 of 14
12. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 12 of 14
13. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 13 of 14
14 of 14
"The future rewards those who press on. I don't have time to feel sorry for myself. I don't have time to complain. I'm going to press on."— BrooklynDad_Defiant! (@mmpadellan) February 18, 2019
-- President Barack Obama
Happy #PresidentsDay, Mr. President! We ❤️ you!@BarackObama pic.twitter.com/xhQEb4OG1U
Obama Urges Lawmakers To Have ‘Courage’ In Battle For Health Care was originally published on newsone.com