Time Magazine brought prima ballerina Misty Copeland and President Barack Obama together during Women’s History Month and the results were pretty amazing. The two, who are both biracial and were raised by single mothers, discussed how they were shaped by their histories and their finding a path to acceptance as pioneers in their respective fields.
Misty is the first African-American prima ballerina at the prestigious American Ballet Theater and of course, Barack Obama, the 44th President of The United States, is its first African-American one.
Their wide-ranging conversation, moderated by Time reporter Maya Rhodan, covered social media and its impact, Obama’s “My Brother’s Keeper” initiative, Misty’s career, the importance of embracing your own identity and why #BlackGirlMagic is an important concept to both of them. Oh, and the President shared that he loves his wife’s curves.
Watch their conversation below:
Read the transcript of their conversation HERE.
Black Girl Magic: 15 T-Shirts That Celebrate Womanhood
1. 50 Shades of Black “Beautiful In Every Shade” TeeSource: 1 of 11
2. Natural Girls Rock T-ShirtSource: 2 of 11
3. For Harriet For Women Who Write T-ShirtSource: 3 of 11
4. For Harriet “Black Model Takeover” ShirtSource: 4 of 11
5. Haus of Swag “I Am One Dope Chick” SweatshirtSource: 5 of 11
6. Apartment 349 “Vivian & Clair” T-ShirtSource: 6 of 11
7. Philadelphia Print Works “Four Women” T-ShirtSource: 7 of 11
8. For Harriet “Freedom Writers” TeeSource: 8 of 11
9. “I am a Fanm Djanm” TeeSource: 9 of 11
10. Haus of Swag “Real Chicks Rock Locs” T-ShirtSource: 10 of 11
11. Philadelphia Print Works “Feminist Authors T-Shirt”Source: 11 of 11
Misty Copeland And Barack Obama Talk #BlackGirlMagic, Race And More was originally published on blackamericaweb.com