Thirty-four-year-old Thomas Allen Jr. died of his injuries at a hospital Sunday morning, police say. According to a news release, Allen was originally a backseat passenger in the car when the unidentified officer pulled the vehicle over at about 10:15 a.m. As the driver, also unidentified, spoke with the officer, Allen jumped into driver’s seat and attempted to flee. Before driving off, the officer climbed in the passenger’s side of the car, where a struggle ensued.
That’s when the officer, partially inside the vehicle and struggling with Allen as the vehicle traveled at a high speed, shot him three times. Allen lost control of the vehicle, jumping a curb and stopping behind a home.
According to the release, the officer was “in fear for his life.”
Allen was taken to a nearby hospital, where he later died. The officer involved in the shooting was also taken to a hospital to be treated — police told KTVI-TV the officer suffered minor scrapes and was later released.
It is unclear why the officer pulled the vehicle over, or if the occupants were armed. An investigation continues.
SOURCE: STL Dispatch
Public Reaction To Mike Brown Verdict In Ferguson
1. Protestors in Ferguson1 of 15
2. Protestors in Ferguson2 of 15
3. Protestors in Ferguson3 of 15
4. Protestors in Ferguson4 of 15
5. Protestors in Ferguson5 of 15
6. Protestors in Ferguson6 of 15
7. Protestors in Ferguson7 of 15
8. Protestors in Ferguson8 of 15
9. Protestors in Ferguson9 of 15
10. Protestors in Ferguson10 of 15
11. Protestors in Ferguson11 of 15
12. Protestors in Ferguson12 of 15
13. Protestors in Ferguson13 of 15
14. Protestors in Ferguson14 of 15
15. Protestors in Ferguson15 of 15
Wellston Police Fatally Shoot St. Louis Man Who Fled With Officer In Vehicle was originally published on newsone.com