Mike Cassesso and MaiLien Le were supposed to get married at the Jefferson Memorial, however the government shutdown put those plans on hold. Luckily, Stephen Colbert was there to save the day!
According to reports, “The Colbert Report” host married the couple on his show Thursday night. He called the nuptials “The 2013 Government Shutdown Wedding of the Century.”
MUST READ: President Obama Calls Out Boehner + The Best Boss Quotes From His Shutdown Speech [VIDEO]
“Well, Nation,” he said, after explaining the couple’s story, “I promised you on night one of the shutdown that as leader of the Colbert Nation and Earl Lord of the Afterscape, I would provide all canceled government services, and that includes weddings.”
“Do you believe that love is bigger than this shutdown?” he asked.
Then Colbert, who is an ordained minister of the American Marriage Ministry (who knew?), proceeded to marry the lovebirds.
MUST READ: A Black Girl’s Guide To The Government Shutdown: 6 Things You Can’t Do
The Cassessos are not alone. According to NBC Washington, the shutdown has affected dozens of couples who planned to say “I do” at the National Mall and other historic sites in Washignton D.C.
The Government Shuts Down! What Does That Mean For Us?
3 Reasons Obamacare Is Important For Women
Check Out This Gallery
Like The Buzz 1230 on Facebook to stay updated with the latest news and original content!
- Department Of Health Kickstarts New Sex Ed Program ‘BRDDSNBZ’
- Knowing Your Government: What is The Debt Ceiling?
- Queen Latifah Offers Marina ‘I Quit’ Shifrin A Job!
- Every Black Father Must Show His Son This Video
- Shots Fired At US Capitol! One Person Dead [PHOTOS]
- Kerry Washington On ‘Scandal’s’ New Season, Why She Doesn’t Mind Playing A Mistress, And More [INTERVIEW]
- University Of Texas Holds ‘Affirmative Action’ Bake Sale
The Show Must Go On! Stephen Colbert Hosts A ‘Government Shutdown Wedding’ was originally published on hellobeautiful.com