George Zimmerman’s brother said medical records will prove that his brother was attacked and his nose was broken by Trayvon Martin before he fatally shot the teen.
Robert Zimmerman Jr. spoke to CNN’s Piers Morgan Thursday night saying he wanted to correct some of the “mythology” and untruths that have been spread about the controversial shooting.
“We’re confident the medical records are going to explain all of George’s medical history,” Zimmerman Jr. said. “His nose looks swollen in that video. I’m his brother.”
George Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch volunteer, said he shot Martin in self defense after the teen attacked him last month. Martin, who was walking through the gated community back to the house of his father’s fiancee, was wearing a hoodie in the rain and carrying Skittles candy and a can of iced tea he had purchased from a nearby convenience store.
Authorities have said Zimmerman has not been charged because there are no grounds to disprove his account that he acted in self defense. Critics say Zimmerman, who is Hispanic, racially profiled Martin, who was black.
The shooting of Martin, an unarmed 17-year old, has sparked an intense national debate about race, birthed protests and was addressed by President Barack Obama who called the incident a “tragedy.”
Robert Zimmerman Jr. also called the shooting a tragedy but warned that some of the responses have not been healthy.
“This is a tragedy. Her son was lost,” he said trying to send a message to Martin’s mother. “I feel very badly about that and I want, in the end, not for her son’s memory to be seen as how we degraded our system and turned it into mob rule and went into a hate speech. Ultimately, we all wish that this was a different situation.”
Read more at cnn.com or check out the video below.