One of our goals is to provide our NewsOne readers with positive, uplifting, and heartwarming Black news. There were a number of stories this year about individuals that beat the odds, showed acts of kindness, or even just encouraged others to do better. Take a look at some of the best “Good News” moments of the year.
SEE ALSO: Lady Gaga’s Ex-Assistant Sues Her
1. Movers And Deputies Refuse To Evict 103-Year-Old Woman
1. After 103-year-old Vinia Hall lost a legal battle with Deutsche Bank earlier this year, movers were sent to evict the centenarian and her 83-year-old daughter, Vita Lee, from their home. Once the deputies and movers arrived and saw how old Hall was, though, they decided to show compassion and not follow through with the court-ordered eviction.
2. Facebook Reunites Father, Son After 25 Years
A California father and son were reunited after more than two decades, when they found each other on Facebook.
Darryl Williams Sr., who last saw “Little D” when he was just 5 years old, had been looking for his first-born son for decades.
3. African-American Chess Masters Lead By Example
Three young African-American chess players from the New York City area have each become chess masters before their 13th birthdays. Fewer than 2 percent of the 47,000 members of the United States Chess Federation are masters, and just 13 of them are under the age of 14.
4. Paralyzed Player Drafted By Major League Baseball Team
Johnathan Taylor, a University of Georgia baseball player who was paralyzed after colliding with a teammate in March, was drafted by the Texas Rangers despite his current physical condition.
5. 5-Year-Old Girl Speaks 7 Languages, Plays 6 Instruments
Mabou Loiseau is a 5-year-old child prodigy who is home-schooled, can speak seven languages, plays six instruments, and scored in the 99th percentile for the gifted and talented schools test in New York City.
6. Homeless Chicago Man Donates Thousands To Struggling Mom
Curtis Jackson, a homeless man in Chicago, gave the thousands of dollars he earns panhandling to a struggling single Mother who lives out of a hotel room with her 10-year-old son.
7. Athlete Receives Life-Saving Kidney From Coach
After suffering from a rare disease called “ANCA vasculitis,” Kevin Jordan, a draft pick of the New York Yankees, received a life-saving kidney from his coach, Tom Walter.
8. 5-Year-Old Isaiah Jackson’s Prayer Goes Viral
Isaiah Jackson, a 5-year-old boy from Dallas, caught the attention of thousands when a videotape of him praying at a recent christening surfaced.
9.Girl Kidnapped 24 Years Ago Miraculously Reunites With Family
Carlina White was snatched from a New York City hospital as a 3-week-old infant. White was finally reunited with her parents after tracking down baby pictures of herself on a missing children’s website.
10. “Golden-Voiced” Homeless Man Offered Job, Home By Cavs
Ted Williams, a panhandler with a voice made for radio, was offered a job by the Cleveland Cavaliers to do voice-over work. The Brooklyn, N.Y., native will also get a house from the deal.